Free delivery on orders over £100*

Worried about toadstools in your turf?

Published Friday 04th August 2017

We’ve had some concerns come in lately regarding the appearance of toadstools in recently laid turf and they can be particularly worrisome if you have small children or animals in case they are harmful when eaten or touched.

It is however, very common for mushrooms and toadstools to appear, especially when turf is newly laid and microscopic fungi spores get churned up from underlying soil layers and begin to grow on the damaged roots of other plants.  These spores are usually too small to see and they do play a vital role in the lifecycle of a natural garden however, under the right conditions; exactly like the warm and wet weather we have been having lately, they can pop through the top layer of turf and produce small, brown toadstools on your lawn.


Will my garden become infested with toadstools?

If you are experiencing toadstools after laying fresh turf, then you will be pleased to know that usually they die off after they have exhausted their fresh food supply (the damaged roots) so you shouldn’t be too concerned about them reoccurring, however as with most things in nature it can be unpredictable.  It is unlikely that an infestation will appear though.  Mushrooms tend to appear in a flurry, stay for a few weeks and then disappear, with the chance of a second showing if the weather returns to wet and warm conditions again.


Are they poisonous?

Without seeing the toadstool or mushroom it would be impossible to say with any certainty, however the most common to appear is called a ‘Brown Hay Cap’, which although isn’t strictly ‘poisonous’ should still not be ingested and it is best practice with all wild mushrooms to teach young children and animals not to eat or touch them.


How do I remove toadstools from my lawn?

Unfortunately, there are no fungicides recommended in the UK to treat these toadstools, however it is key to remember that they are not damaging to your turf and are a temporary part of your gardens natural life cycle, there is not really any need to treat them.

If you are worried about animals or small children eating them when you are not looking, the best approach is to break the stems by brushing the toadstools, which will allow the air to dry out the stem and disappear as they are mostly composed of water.  You can also mow the affected area daily until they stop producing new growth and as long as you don’t trim your turf lower than 25mm in height, your turf should not be damaged.

Remember, small brown toadstool growth is very common after laying new turf and the problem should rectify itself over time.  If you are worried or if the problem appears to be getting worse, please feel free to contact our expert team who will be happy to give you further advice by calling 0333 456 1921